Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

Making Your Home a Haven Challenge 1

I am super excited to take part in the challenge to make my home a haven. The challenge has weekly components as follows (taken from womenlivingwell.org):

November 5th -Go buy an extra large candle and light a candle everyday in your home.Each time the candle catches your eye, say a prayer for peace in your home.
November 12th - Play soft music everyday in your home. Focus on using peaceful words and maintaining peaceful relationships. Work on gentleness this week.
November 19th – Focus on the kitchen, the heart of the home. Cook things with pleasant aromas – like homemade bread, pies, and cookies.  Remove discontentment and give thanks to God for the home God has given you in which to create a haven for your family.
November 26th - Decorate! The holidays are upon us.   Be creative as you make your home warm, cozy and inviting for the holidays. 

I began week one a little early when I came across the post announcing the challenge. So I found one of the best smelling candles I could. My home quickly smelled like baked apple pie. I remembered to pray for peace (even if only quickly) in my home everytime the candle caught my eye. The timing of this challenge was particularly important. My husband and I have been in a short season of a complete lack of peace in our home. One of the first things my husband said to me upon seeing (and smelling) the candle was "You love me." After I asked him to not blow out my candle (which he had done two days in a row) I realized that he thought I was lighting it right before he got home to make things nice for him. This is one of the few times I hadn't blurted the "cool new thing" I was doing all over the place. I asked him why he would blow something out that he thought was meant to make things nice, and he said he didn't want to waste it. So I told him I had plenty more candles and I could buy more if necessary, so we can leave it burning. As I am writing this, I have realized that during this time, peace has returned to my home again. The tension has left, and we are once again going in the right direction. My husband and I even shared a slow dance to the credits of a movie (and no...this is not a normal occurence.) :)

I keep my candle in the kitchen, and the smell permeates my entire home. At night, when we are watching tv in the den after the boys are in bed, I turn on a battery powered candle that looks like the real thing as well. The light of that brings a different feel to the room as well. Isn't it amazing what one item can do for the home. I know that my prayers are being answered, and it feels quite different around here.

But I have to ask myself the question: is it really just that God heard my quick prayer and answered quickly and efficiently...or could it be that when we seek peace, we act more peacefully? In my case, I think it's a little of both. Seek and ye shall find...



No comments:

Post a Comment